Jewellery and bujutsu?

Hello,

This blog is about two important parts of my life: martial arts (under the Dentokan umbrella) and making jewellery.

Please join in - there'll be ponderings on processes, and pictures of processes (maybe not in my gi, though...) but in both jewells and bujutsu I've got sooo much to learn, and waffle on about.

Friday 26 March 2010

Trembling karate legs - grading approaches

Oh, sweet blimey cakes. With several of my karate kyu-mates, I am being graded on Saturday. Aim: 2nd kyu. To those confused, and mildly amused, by the coloured belt system, this means we are hoping to get two large steps closer to black belt / 1st Dan / shodan (or 'beginning level').

My favourite bugei book is Sword and Brush, by Dave Lowry. In it he explains that the kanji for 'dan' means 'to carve steps up the cliff'. I'd previously visualised my progress as a climber in mountainous territory ... and me still in the NT carpark, lacing up my boots. 'Carving out steps' captures the exhaustion, attention to detail and inability to see the submit....but, as my sensei says, it's fortunate that we enjoy boredom and pain. Anyway, so that's how it feels trying to reach the first dan (let alone move on from there) - when I will be, I hope, ready to start learning karate! *bow*

No comments:

Post a Comment